Thursday, January 21, 2010

Not my forte...

In life, there are always ways you can improve.  I am by no means ashamed to admit that I have a few skills that could use some, well, sharpening.  For example, Matt seems to think I could "clean better" - ha.  Anyway, that's really neither here nor there. A skill that comes to mind because of today's adventure... route-plotting.

There are a couple of elements to this:
1) Map reading.  While I have come a long way, I know I could work on this.  I often get my lefts and rights confused and have a fairly difficult time with understanding where to go if someone tells me to head east.  Unless of course I'm in Michigan and you tell me to go West, there happens to be a large landmark that I use called Lake Michigan.  I really am improving though, I swear.

2) Visualizing myself in the particular area I need to navigate.  This one is tough, since I've been running in so many new areas these days!

3) Memory/paying attention in general.  Today I screwed up the route (again) not because I plotted it incorrectly or wrote down left inside of right, but because I completely forgot to make a turn.  Completely forgot.  In my own defense (someone has to stick up for me, right?!) we had discussed taking a different route that was impossible due to the location of the USPS (grr...) and I did not look at the map one last time before heading out.  I'll quit making excuses.  In the picture below the plotted route is in blue and the route that we took is in red.




Whoops.

Needless to say, my route-plotting "privileges" were revoked.  Probably for the best.  I still think the route has potential.

Today certainly was an adventure.  I also had a too-close-for-comfort-almost-incident with a bus that scared the hell out of me!  We had the walk sign and the driver of said bus decided that (s)he was still going to turn left, even while I was making my way across the cross walk.  Yikes.

Lucky for me the rest of the day was uneventful.  Good thing too, my legs are feeling it today.  I'm happy to be relaxing and eating sushi.  30 Rock tonight!

3 comments:

The Red Menace said...

Poor Jess. I'm sorry we had to revoke your privileges. To be fair, the routes you MAKE are fine. I think in future, however, someone else will be in charge of REMEMBERING them. I say this with love!

Laurelin said...

Oops. :( But hey, since you were beginning to get in my neck of the woods (or water I suppose)... if you run to the harbor there by Farragut Rd, or Columbia Rd there is a great path that heads south on the edge of the harbor well past where we used to live. It is a nice little jaunt, and it's a real trail - meaning no buses to hit you!

Jess said...

E- of course it was said with love! :)

Laur- Thank you for the tip. We should definitely check this out. Maybe next week..!