Saturday, January 30, 2010

Anna's Taqueria - delicious, but not the kind of fuel you need.

Sorry to all of you loyal blog readers... I know there are probably hundreds of you out there.  Ok, maybe 10... ok, maybe it's just my teammates and Grandma, but to anyone reading I apologize for my negligence this week.  It has been a busy, busy week.

As some of you may know every year Boston Partners throws a fundraising gala.  I have the super fabulous job of designing all of the distributed materials for said gala (save the dates, invitations, the program, etc.)  This week we were finishing up the invitation, so needless to say I was BUSY.  It was tough to find the time (and the motivation) to do the mid-week runs.  Monday it was surprisingly warm...(wait, was that last week?) I ran by myself in the evening.  Tuesday the BPE runners and Tricia went out together, it was a good one.  Thursday I was unable to fit a run in during the day and by the time I got home it was cold, windy, icy and I just didn't feel like running.  So I didn't.  I was pretty torn up about it, but not torn up enough I guess.  I really wanted to get a short one in on Friday, but again a (freezing cold) busy day.

So, it's Saturday again and we had 14 miles to run.  I kind of psyched myself out.  Convinced that skipping 6 miles on Thursday would set me back, I had made up my mind that today would be difficult.  Maybe that's why I didn't make very good decisions when fueling for my run last night.
1) Lunch at Lucky's (thanks, Hil for taking me to lunch... totally worth it).  Tuna melt and fries... yumm
2) 2 Sam Lagers at Rattlesnake.  I mean, I could have gotten Harpoon's... I really felt like I was trying to be good.  If you didn't know, while Harpoon IPA is my go-to beer, I am surely to have a horrible hang over from it the next day.  It could be that they taste so good, I always drink too many!  But who knows...
3) Chicken quesadilla from Anna's Taqueria.  I knew this was a bad idea.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not an idiot.  It just sounded so good and everyone else was doing it... and it was late... and I was hungry.  And who can resist a warm tortilla with melted cheese, chicken, sour cream, salsa, extra hot sauce and jalepenos... and due to a miscommunication steak instead of black beans!?!?!?!  In short, bad idea.  *To add to the "bad-ness" I ate this at maybe 10:45 pm.  (I can't believe I'm admitting this.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.)

Back to the 14 miles.  I was running with Kelly and Laura, fast, really fast.  Like super speed.  We are feeling great.  We get to ohh, mile 7 perhaps and I go to drink some of my water (I know you've all seen my fuel belt).  Well, it was SO COLD that BOTH of my water bottles were FROZEN, almost frozen solid.  I could extract no liquid from them.  Their sole purpose.  Yes, I was running in 6 degree weather with 2 ice blocks on both hips.  And then, ohhh a half a mile later I started slowing down... turns out there was more weight in my middle region.  Well, you all know where this is going.  Pit stop had to be made.  Luckily, stopping by a Mobile bathroom gave me a chance to run my water bottles under some hot water thawing them out enough for me to take a drink and dump the rest.  Off I was again.  I did run the rest of the way, alone.  It was probably for the best.  I had plenty of time to review my bad decisions and decide that I would, in the future, not make those decisions again.  At least not while training for a marathon.

I will say, I feel pretty good now.

Thank you to......
Matt Allen, Wendy Beninati, and Aunt Janice for your contributions this week.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!
I'm off to a fundraiser for Erin on Sunday, please join me!

Upcoming events:
Friday, February 19 at 6 PM - Team Trivia Night at Crossroads Pub (Mass Ave and Comm)
Teams of 4 or 6.  $10 a person.  $5 off a team rate if you can pre-pay!
Prizes for winning team!!!

Friday, February 26 at 7 PM - A special fundraising event.  Cash prize.  Email me for details:
baker.jessicaa@gmail.com

I promise to blog again soon, with pictures!

5 comments:

The Red Menace said...

Hey, at least it wasn't race day!

new_shoes said...

I'm neither your grandma OR a teammate and I'm reading! I think it's great you're combining personal goals with social good. Anyway, we're in Somerville and I've been eying Anna's Taqueria for awhile now, and your description of the quesadilla has moved it to the top of my list. lol. I'll be sure to not schedule any runs that weekend.. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jess said...

new_shoes - you just made my day!! Definitely go for the quesadilla... the night before a rest day! Thanks for reading. :)

Jess said...

I would also like to announce that I just re-read my post and am slightly embarrassed my the horrible spelling/grammar
The most horrendous mistake:
"they're" instead of "their". Yikes.
Double-apology to my readers.

Laurelin said...

I'm going to go ahead and say you did make a poor decision. :( However, I made no poor decisions (that I know of) and ended up in a similar situation. So you never really know.... Booyah on 14.