Friday, February 12, 2010

FUNdraising

Ok y'all this is going to be a long one.  Feel free to skim.

I’ve been talking a lot about running lately, let’s for a bit chat about the other challenge that I’ve mentioned here and there – fundraising.

But this post is not to preach about why you should donate to MY marathon fund. It’s to share ways that teammates and I have been fundraising. There’s a lot of creativity happening and I think that many folks will find useful. I’ve tried to break it up into sections as best as possible. And for goodness sakes if I’ve missed something, comment on it and add to the list!  I will just list some of many ways to raise funds; I will expand on others (not too much because this is going to be LONG, please feel free to email if you’d like more details.

Take the easy stuff to the next level:
  • Write a letter, write an email, do it. Many people feel bad about asking others for money, but you shouldn’t. If they don’t want to give, they won’t. There isn’t anything wrong with writing a letter or email asking for a donation.
    • *Also, include a post-script mentioning that donations are tax deductible (make sure you or your organization sends a thank you because a) you need to thank these donors and b) it will serve as a tax note).
  • Email often!  You don’t always have to make a “direct” ask. Let people know about events, important milestones, blog posts, etc.
  • Update your facebook, twitter, myspace, whatever you’re using to stay in touch.  Don’t be crazy and write something every 30 seconds, but link to your fundraising page and to a blog (if you have one) just so that people can check out what you’re doing and easily link to you.
  • Blog!  Connect with people… you are reading this now, right?
  • Keep your change – I have so many quarters left over from laundry
  • Return bottles/cans
  • Give your donors some incentive – when someone donates at least $20 to Todd he writes them a song and performs it on YouTube
  • Challenge your donors – Kelly challenged all of her donors to donate a dollar to her marathon fund when they purchased a cup of coffee, latte, cappuccino, etc and she matched each donation.

Raffles:

Have a hobby that other people enjoy?  Have a monthly raffle. My teammate, Erin is a fantabulous baker (and cook – check out this woman’s blog).  She has had amazing success with a monthly baked goods raffle.  I myself won a bourbon apple pie and it was well worth the $10 in tickets I purchased.
Other things you can raffle:
  • Into graphic design?  Holiday card design raffle (I totally bonked on this one… good idea Judy)
  • Anyone you know into beading?  Raffle off some homemade jewelry
  • 50/50 raffle – these are good at events
  • Online raffle: ask local organizations for gift cards or goodies and raffle them off online or at an event

Events:
Events are great. Some take more effort than others, but for the most part they can be easy to plan and wildly successful. Assume all events include a cover charge.  I will try to list beginning with most simple (as far as planning) to more difficult…
  • Have a party.  Don’t have a big enough place? Contact local bars/restaurants to see if they will donate their space (they will). And while you’re at it, ask them for some free appetizers… I bet you’ll get them!
  • Game Night. Make it a potluck so you don’t have to worry about making food for everyone. This works best in a residence versus a bar.
  • Wine Tasting. Everyone brings a bottle of wine in a different variety; assign varieties to avoid duplicates. Cover the label and give each bottle a number. Have a key somewhere for when this is all over. Each guest tastes each wine and tries to guess which variety it is. Give the winner a prize, perhaps a bottle of wine…? (Thanks Jim)
  • Trivia.  This can get tricky.  You need: 1) Space  2) Trivia Master  3)  PA system  4) Prizes (stuff or cash, but prizes are necessary)
    You can get all of these things donated. I know because the staff team members are hosting a trivia night. We’ve gotten all of these things donated to us.  Email for more details.  Or, see it in action FRIDAY, FEB. 19 at 6:00 PM at CROSSROADS PUB (Mass Ave and Comm Ave)     $10/person
  • Poker – a tournament of your choice.  Please email me for details on this one.
  • Pub Crawl!  ‘nuff said

A word on gambling:
People like to gamble.  It’s not technically legal. My only advice, be wise when planning events or pools.
  • Superbowl squares
  • March Madness
  • Poker tournaments

At the office:

  • Again, put a letter in everyone’s mailbox informing them of your endeavor and asking for their support.  Oh, and send an email too.
  • Invite your co-workers to events
  • Swear jar!  F bombs are worth a dollar!
  • Jeans day – many companies will allow a casual day midweek for $5.  All proceeds go to charity. 

Company Gift Matching:
Many companies match employee gifts made to charity.  Urge potential donors to check with their employers about matching gifts.  And, make it easy for them.  Send them your nonprofits 501.C3 form.

2 comments:

Ronak said...

Hi Jessica,
You don't know me, but I started following your blog after it was posted by firstgiving as a 'featured blog' on one of their emails. I am also running and fund raising for the Boston Marathon this year. I had a couple of fund raising ideas that I'm implementing or in the process of implementing, which I wanted to share...
1. A candy fund raiser at my workplace - I leave boxes full of candy in the lunch room at work and people can buy them for a dollar each and make the payment in to an envelope I leave beside the candy box. I leave a printout describing the cause, so people can read it and make donations directly on my site if they want. This is just a low effort way of raising donations.
2. Carpool fund raiser - My drive to and from work is ~20 miles each way. I pitched this idea of driving some coworkers (who live close to me) to and from work and in return asked them to donate $10 each to my fund raising effort for everyday that I drive. The $10 comes close to the amount of gas they save in addition to depreciation in the value of their car.

Not sure how many people will be able to read my ideas, but thought I should post it as a comment on your blog anyway.

Good luck with training and the race. Also, nice work on the blog. Keep blogging!

Jess said...

Hey Ronak - these are GREAT ideas. I especially love the first. It's so easy!

Thanks for reading!