Tuesday, February 16, 2010

For the love of running

I have been sick for a week.  I'm feeling a ton better than last week, but here I am still hacking up green nasties and feeling like someone jammed a bunch of cotton up my nose alllll the way into my brain.  I didn't run last week.  It was terrible.  I felt like I was totally missing out.  I guess the only thing worse than running 17 miles is missing a 17 mile run.  I left them this message:



So, I decided it was time to see a doctor.  I missed them Friday and couldn't get an appointment until today.  Good news is it's not a sinus infection.  It's what I thought, a really bad head cold.  Unfortunately, there's nothing by way of antibiotic to take.  Even more unfortunately my immune system needs energy to get well and running expands a LOT of energy so I'm supposed to take a few more days off.  And my doctor actually laughed when I asked if I would be ok to run 17 miles on Saturday.  I ran 3 miles yesterday and it felt awesome but it was also 37 degrees and sunny.  I can't say I was too crushed when told to take off today, as this is what it looks like outside right now:

Yeah - it's snowing.

Surprisingly (or maybe not so surprisingly for any runners reading) this past week has been the hardest part of my training so far.  Not being able to run is scaring me.  While I know my insides are getting better (haha, sorry that was gross-sounding) I'm worried that my muscles are weakening at a rapid pace (yes, I'm being dramatic).  But really, the next long run I'm scheduled to do is 18 miles.  18 miles seems like it would be easier if I hadn't missed almost two weeks of running, including two long runs.  At the peak of my training. 

At this point, I'll do just about anything to get well again.  For the love of running... ok the fear of not running.  My doctor suggested a couple of over-the-counter remedies which I just picked up at CVS (don't you love going to CVS and spending thirty frickin dollars?!)  One of which is the last image I will leave you with today. 
photo credit: Nicole Dissette
See the watering can I'm sticking up my left nostril?  That's a Netti Pot.  You mix a saline solution powder and warm water in the pot stick it up to your nose and tilt your head to the side so that the water runs all the way through your sinuses.  See what I mean... I'll do ANYTHING to get better.  Including shoving a plastic watering can up my nostrils (yes, I had to do each side) in the hopes that they get flushed out and my head ache goes AWAY.  It might even be worth it if it works.  I hope it works.  Soon.

Big thank you to...
Laura Lintz, Colleen Dobson, Mike Hunter, and the Buzzells for your support this week! 

I'm getting there!!!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I just want you to know that I LOVE the netti pot! I live by it during allergy season as it's the only thing that seems to work. The best part, it's a natural remedy so you aren't pumping your body full of drugs!! Get well soon love...get out there and run! :)

LOVE TONS! XOXOX

The Red Menace said...

You're amazing. I love that last picture and will think good thoughts for your recovery!

Laurelin said...

This is a sad post, although I am glad to hear you are on your way toward health. Just think, being sick now means there is NO way you will be sick in the next two months! :)

Love your message.

Fortunateson said...

Hi Jess: I do Triathlons and the Nettie Pot is my best friend to resolve breathing issues. What ever it takes to get the job done. You will do fine. Rock on