Tuesday, April 27, 2010

WE DID IT!!!!!

By "we" I mean not only the Boston Partners in Education 2010 Marathon Team, but everyone I have involved in this experience!  We did it!  Months of training, rain, snow, freezing temperatures, injuries, illness, exhaustion, joy, anticipation... the list is endless.  I still can't believe it happened and I still can't believe it's over.

I can't tell you exactly what I was looking for when I decided to do this.  Running a marathon is not something I ever imagined doing.  Sure, I thought it would be cool, but I never really thought I would actually devote months of my life to running.  To be honest, I had to run 10 miles to truly believe that I could run 10 miles.  There were times that I was really upset with myself that I had agreed to do this.  I didn't tell anyone that, other than Matt and Nikki, of course.

I also can't tell you how incredibly meaningful this experience really has been.  I've been putting off writing this blog post because I can't describe with words everything that this meant to me.  We chuckled at Coach Rick when he described this as "life-changing."  And while I don't have an inspirational story, and my life hasn't really changed for some reason I do feel different.  I have just a little more focus and a little more confidence and a little more clarity now that I know I have done something that I never knew I wanted to do.  I'm not one to over-romanticize things (it makes me feel a bit embarrassed) - April 19, 2010 was a day that I will never, ever forget.  It's funny... around mile 24 I thought, "The only thing I'm going to remember about this is how much I hurt right now."  And it couldn't be further from the truth.


So let's talk about the run!

Matt, Nikki and Thais drove me to the buses awaiting us near the Boston Common.  Well, let's be real - I drove.  When I found out Travis (Laur's hubbie) almost got a ticket when he dropped her off, I made Matt swap seats with me at a red light.


Post-seat swap.


I met Laurelin, Todd, Erin (as I linked this I realized I totally stole Erin's Blog Post Name... sorry about that), Kelly, Laura, and Meghan at Lisa's apartment, conveniently located across the street from the Common.  The line(s) for the buses were out of control winding all the way through the Common.

When we finally made it to the front of the line, we were directly across from Lisa's apartment... back where we started.  There was some drama getting on the bus, the team was almost split up, but as it turned out there were just enough seats for all of us.

Laur and I sat next to each other, which would have turned out to be a total bummer if she had thrown up into my tupperware container of oatmeal I was trying to talk myself into eating.  Lucky for me she did not do this.  Unfortunately for her, she was a bit "bus sick."



The bus ride seemed to take forever.  Once at Hopkinton Laur and I made some bad decisions about which line to get in for a porta-potty and ended up waiting forever only to leave the line in search of our designated area at Athlete's Village.  We were worried about the time as we still had to pin on our bib number and tie our chip into our shoe.  You know, things that don't take long at all, but of course our nerves were getting to the best of us.  It was calming to see the Boston Partners banner (and nearby porta-potties with a shorter line).

The team at Athlete's Village.  Thanks for the pic, Laur.

The next thing I knew we were heading to the start line.  The. Start. Line.  As in THE START OF THE BOSTON MARATHON WE'D BEEN PREPARING FOR AND FUNDRAISING FOR AND REALLY DOING THAT DAY.  Needless to say, it was intense.

Our bib numbers were in the 23,000's.  23,000.  We were in Wave 2, so many (thousands) of people had already begun and there were still thousands of people in front of us and thousands of people behind us.  We were basically herded to the start line.  It was all so overwhelming I was crying when I started running.  Yep, tears running down the cheeks.

At the Start.  
Image via Laurelin, courtesy of Meghan Malloy (who also rocked the Marathon!)

I would just like to point out here that before all this marathon business while I am completely ok crying in my own private home, I was not ok with crying in public.  Look what this has done (yoga, marathon, what's next?!)

Anyway, I feel like you can all cut me a break for crying on Marathon Monday.

I had decided, against my better judgment really, that I would run alongside Laurelin throughout the race.  She would pace me, we would not do run/walk and we would spend some time running together!  I can't tell you how much I missed her these last few months!

I thought we would chat more.  I am normally a chatty runner and as is she after a couple (Gu packets that is!)  But no, we were both in awe of what was happening around us.  At mile 6 I got a tightness in both my hips that I thought I could shake.  As we went on the tightness crept down both my legs.  I got a boost of energy at Wellesley College where thousands of women were screaming for us.  It was cry number two of the day.  Thanks to all you Wellesley ladies, you were awesome.

Into Wellesley (near mile 14) we saw my dear friend Hillary, former cheerleader jumping up and down screaming embarrassing her mom... thanks, Hil!

At this point keeping up with Laurelin was tough.  I was hurting.  We needed to stop and stretch.  My muscles were just super tight.  We saw Travis, David, Barb, Tim and Laurie just before mile 17.  Laur went to give hugs and since I was falling behind I thought it was best not to stop.  I smiled and waved and finally felt some relief.  Laurelin and I hugged, ran to the next water stop together and that was when we parted ways.  I needed to walk for a while as I sipped my water.  I needed to walk frequently as I climbed the hills in Newton.  Everyone keeps asking me about Heartbreak Hill... I think I may have been slightly delirious because I can't really remember.  I know it was the beginning of the rest of my miserable run.

I know that sounds terrible.  It sounds like I didn't enjoy myself, but it's not true.  For all of the pain I was feeling that I had never before experienced I was determined.  It was bad, but it could have been worse.  I was going to finish and that was that.  End of story.  Newton seemed to crawl by, mostly because I had run there so many times before I knew exactly how many tenths of a mile it was to my doorstep.  At my doorstep I was still three miles away from the finish.  Yikes.

As I rounded the corner in Cleveland Circle I saw David, Matt's dad waving wildly and there was the group again.  I was so glad to see them.  At that point I it was the furthest I had ever run and I was so, so, so, so close.  I couldn't wait to get closer to our house!

Beacon Street was flying by... there goes Shaw's, Starbucks, The Golden Temple, Gimbels, 7/11, The Washington Square Tavern.  Wait, the Washington Square Tavern?!  I am in Washington Square?!  That's my impression of me talking to myself in my head.  As I ran just past the Tavern, just past the T stop I heard, "Baker!" from my left.  I see Jessey, do a U-turn, and give him a big, nasty, sweaty hug.  And, you guessed it, started to cry.  Immediately on my right is Thais, Rachel and Allie yelling and screaming and giving me hugs.  It was the best part of the race.  I was in all-out crying mode.  I had to actually tell myself to relax or I would have had to stop running!

I somehow trudged my way to Coolidge Corner where out of the corner of my eye, on the left-side, I spotted Karen who also got a big, sweaty hug from me.  She reminded me I only had two more miles to go!

At some point I ran into my teammate Lisa.  What a wonderful surprise!


Down Beacon past all of the things I see every day on the T, into Kenmore Square, under Mass Ave (jerks), right on Hereford, left on Boylston and THREE FRICKIN BLOCKS TO GO, WHAT?!?!?!  (That's my impression of me again.)  There it was the finish line.  I don't know how I did it.  I really don't, but there it was.  The end of the race.  26.2 frickin miles later.  I crossed the finish line and cried.  Got a call from Matt and Nikki who saw me finish.  Hugged them and cried.

That's me!!! 4:48:27

They make you walk for awhile post-marathon.  It's a really good idea, but MAN did those wheelchairs look inviting.  I asked everyone I passed for a banana - the volunteer who gave me water, the volunteer who gave me a cape, the volunteer who taped my cape, the volunteer who gave me my medal - all were asked the same question, "Do you have any food, like a banana?"

Finally, I found a banana and an egg bagel.  I walked down to Berkeley and around the corner to St. James.  When I approached Skippy's there were a few friendly faces on the patio.  They took me in, gave me a beer, and it was great.


Woo hoo!

The weekend was a whirlwind.  So much happened the weekend before the marathon.  So much happened following the marathon.  Food, drinks, food, drinks, food, drinks.  And on and on and on.  It was all amazing, but I'm sure much less interesting for you to read.  I was excited at first to blog about getting my bib number and visiting the Expo, but it really pales in comparison to the day of the race!

I have a lot of people who deserve thanks.  First, my most recent donors:
Lori!
Pete Corritori!
Damon Kimball!
Christina!
Jim Rothwell!

I have raised:
$5, 942.60

I am so grateful and amazed by all of the wonderful people who have donated to Boston Partners in Education.  Your support has meant the world to me and my organization.  I'm so proud.

Thank you to everyone who made this experience so great.  Whether I ran alongside you, gave you a hug on race day, or communicated with you from afar thank you!  Without you this experience would have probably been the pits.  Seriously.  I would go through and name all of the folks that I want to personally thank again, but I'd be like that celebrity at the Oscars who gets boot-music after taking up more time than Academy has to offer.  If I still have your attention - thank you for reading.

I'm overwhelmed with joy every time I revisit this experience in my mind.  Looking at the pictures makes me a little giddy.  This was amazing and I hope that those who shared it with me enjoyed it as well.

We did it.

4 comments:

laura said...

so i'm crying now, jess! you are awesome! you did it! WE DID IT! and you're right-- life-changing it was. i am so proud to have run with you. ll

Jess said...

Aww, Laura! It's contagious! Thanks for helping to make this such a ridiculously awesome experience!!!

Laurelin said...

Jessica is amazing. And I miss you like crazy. SOOOO, SOOO proud of you Jess.

zbsports said...

Wow you really did it. Great post. Super like!!!